THE COSMIC COWBOY CAFE
|Posted on January 12, 2018 at 9:39 PM|
THE BEST OF 2017
For the first time in the 21 year history of the Cosmic Cowboy Cafe I found it impossible to separate two albums for the #1 spot so this year I have declared a tie:
= #1 Across The Wide - "Records And Bottles"
= #1 The Reeves Brothers "King Of County Music"
Both these albums are independent releases with outstanding original songs, great vocal , playing and production.
Real country music is alive and well if you know where to look.
In this case Georgia and Nevada.
This is the second release for both groups and their first ones were equally as impressive.
I really don't know how to rank the other albums that make up my Top 10, so I'll list them alphabetically by artist:
* Johnny Bush - The Absolute Johnny Bush
Still at the top of his game at 82
* Darci Carlson - Darci Carlson
Why isn't she huge ? Ameripolitan Music Awards Outlaw Female 2017
* Ryan Chrys & The Rough Cuts Shovel Full of Coal
Hard driving rocking country. Nominees in 2018 Ameripolitan Music Awards in Outlaw Group Category
* Ags Connolly - Nothin' Unexpected
A bloody Pom taking coals to Newcastle
* Billie Gant - On And On
One of the original "outlaw" greats showing the younguns how it's done
* Emily Herring - Gliding
The long awaited follow up to her 2013 "Your Mistake"
* Zephaniah OHora - This Highway
A throwback the 60s Countrypolitan style - in a good way ! He's from NY so go figure.
* Justin Trevino - A Salute To Ray Price & The Cherokee Cowboys
Another fine album from Justin who just exudes authenticity. This is country music as God planned it.
* Dale Watson & Ray Benson - Dale And Ray Benson
Exactly what you would expect from from a pairing of these two legends of the Austin music scene.
Other notable releases from that I really enjoyed from 2017:
* Glen Campbell - Adios
A fitting swan song from this music legend.
* Rodney Crowell - Close Ties
His best album in decades. "Life Without Susanna" and "Nashville 1972" worth the price of admission alone.
*Sunny Sweeney - Trophy
Her best album since her brilliant 2006 debut album "Heartbreaker's Hall Of Fame"
* Heybale - Play Me A Cheatin' Song/The Songs Of Wayne Kemp
How can you go wrong ?
* Malpass Brothers - Live At The Paramount Theatre
Merle knew just how good these guys are
* The Don Diego Trio - Greeting From Austin
Sicilian rockabilly cats showing the locals how it's done. Three time nominees in Ameripolitan Music Awards Rockabilly Group category. 2018 just might be their year
* Tom Russell - Folk Hotel
Every Tom Russell is a gem
* Steve Earle & The Dukes - So You Wannabe An Outlaw
A real return to form for Steve Earle
* Rick Shea & The Losin' End - The Town Where I Live
I've been playing this Californian on the show since we began in 1996.
* Eric Brace / Peter Cooper / Thomm Jutz - Profiles In Courage, Frailty & Discomfort
Veteran duet partners Eric and Peter are joined by master guitarist, writer and producer Thomm to create something greater than the equal of its parts.
* Cash O'Riley - Stewed & Screwed Hillbilly Blues - Music For Sirens & Sinners
One man band and two time Ameripolitan Music Awards Outlaws Male nominee comes ups with the best album of his career.
Categories: 2RRR, Across The Wide, Ags Connolly, Best of 2017, Billie Gant, Cash O'Riley, Dale Watson & Ray Benson, Darci Carlson, Emily Herring, Eric Brace, Glen Campbell, Heybale, Johnny Bush, Justin Trevino, Malpass Brothers, Peter Cooper, Rick Shea, Rodney Crowell, Ryan Chrys & The Rough Cuts, Steve Earle & The Dukes, The Don Diego Trio, The Reeves Brothers, Thomm Jutz, Tom Russell, Zephaniah OHora